Habitat of Neisseria gonorrhoeae
- Human is only the natural host.
- Found in human urogenital tract.
- Rectal carriage in healthy individuals.
- Typically seen in pus cells (intracellular)
- Found intracellularly in polymorphonuclear leukocytes, or a specific category of white blood cells with varying shapes of nuclei.
Morphology of Neisseria gonorrhoeae
- Gram –ve cocci
- Shape is spherical
- Coffee bean shaped diplococcic
- Diameter: 0.6 to 1 um
- Usually seen in pairs with adjacent sides flattened
- LPS has highly branched basal oligosaccharide structure
- Contains fimbriae
- Possess pili on the surface
- Motile (Twitching motility)
Genome of Neisseria gonorrhoeae
- Circular DNA genome
- 2069 Genes
- 67 Structural RNA’s
- Genome Length: 2,153,922 nt
- Protein encoding genes: 2002
- G+C Content: 52.4%
- Have surface protein called Opa protein.