Last Updated on March 30, 2020 by Sagar Aryal
USB Microscope Definition
This is a type of digital Microscope which is connected to a computer through a USB port. It works on low power. They have installed webcam with a high-powered macro lens. they also have an inbuilt LED light constructed near the lens.
The working principle of the USB Microscope
- As a digital microscope, this microscope lacks eyepiece since it has an inbuilt LED light, which is the source of light for the microscope. Light is reflected from the sample, into the camera lens, which has enough sensitivity for the light it reflects. The direct attachment to the microscope to the USB port, allows it to capture images and record short videos, stored in the USB.
- The microscope has an adjustable stand that manually focuses on the image and has a flexibility that allows change of planes of view to the screen. The image production is fast, accurate and very clear that is displayed, saved in the USB port.
- The inbuilt camera is 5 megapixels and the lenses are about 10-150 mm. The magnification power is about 1x-200x.
- The quality of the image depends on the capacity of the camera in megapixels and the installed ranges are between 1.3 MP-5 MP with high-quality illumination by the LED light source. The camera can record still images and videos on my systems.
Parts of the USB Microscope
- LED light source – The have an inbuilt light source hence they do not need an eyepiece.
- Digital camera – They have an inbuilt camera the has a capacity of 1.3MP-5MP but it can also be increased.
- USB port – The port allows the fixation of the USB, which expands the memory of the storage of images and videos recorded during imaging.
Jiusion USB Microscope
These are the portable handheld microscope is a useful and funny magnification for kids, children, students, engineers and others who need to magnify and explore the micro things like a circuit board, coin, jewelry, skin, and insect.
Figure: Jiusion USB Microscope. Image Source: Jiusion.
Focus Range: from 10mm to 250mm
Frame Rate: Max 30f/s under 600 Lux Brightness
Magnification Ratio: 40x to 1000x
Video format: AVI
Photo format: JPEG or BMP
Light source: 8 LED (adjustable by control wheel)
PC interface: USB2.0
Power source: 5V DC from the USB port
Operation system: Windows 7 8 10/Vista/XP/2000, Mac OS X 10.5 or above, some of Android mobiles, Linux, Chrome
Bundle software: MicroCapture with measurement & calibration function
System Requirement Pentium Computer with 700M Hz &Above, 20M HD Space
CD ROM Measure Tool: Micro-Measure (It can measure Length and diameters, angle, the perimeter, area, etc on Windows).
Click here to buy a Jiusion USB microscope from Amazon.
Celestron USB Microscope
The Celestron Handheld Digital USB Microscope Pro is an easy to use, low-power microscope with a 5.0 MP sensor for capturing photos and video of your discoveries. At low magnification, the Handheld Digital Microscope Pro is ideal for viewing stamps, coins, bugs, plants, rocks, skin, gems, circuit boards, and more. You can even view traditional slides at high magnification.
Figure: Celestron USB microscope. Image Source: Celestron.
Create high-resolution images, VGA quality video, and time-lapse animations using the included Micro Capture Pro software. You can also take accurate measurements and make notes on your specimens using this intuitive software. An adjustable LED illuminator ensures your specimens are clear and bright, while the fully adjustable, professional stand allows for steady shots even at high magnification.
Intended for the discriminating hobbyist or professional, the Handheld Digital Microscope Pro is well suited for jobs such as entomology, industrial quality control, component inspection, medical investigation, scientific research, and forensics documentation—just to name a few.
- High-quality adjustable height stand
- Celestron Micro Capture Pro Software
- Calibration ruler
Click here to buy the Celestron USB microscope from Amazon.
USB microscopes software
Applications of the USB Microscope
The presence of an inbuilt LED light source and the digital camera plus a USB port, the microscope is used to visualize features on the samples giving a deep field of viewing and a wide range of magnifications. The camera is sensitive and therefore it doesn’t need an extra light source.
It is used in various functions including:
- Examination of flat objects like coins, circuit boards, banknotes
- Examining irregular surfaces such as fibers with a high depth of field.
- Examining large items in situ when conventional microscopes can not be used.
- They are used to study the size of crystals such as sea salt and table salt.
- They are used to study fractures in forensic science during direct examination hence they can be uses in crime scene investigations.
- They are also used in ENT examinations.
- Some are very cheap to purchase.
- They are portable.
- They can be used in a variety of functions that cant be used by conventional microscopes such us study on fractures.
- Some are extremely expensive.
- They have low-resolution power.
References and Sources
- 13% – https://www.celestron.com/products/handheld-digital-microscope-pro
- 4% – http://labcompoundmicroscope.com/2019/10/5-compound-microscopes-mp-handheld-digital-pro-science-lab-camera-photo/
- 3% – https://microscopereviewe.info/page/16/
- 2% – http://sites.google.com/site/usbdigitalstillcamerxuh/
- 1% – https://microscopes.mobi/shop/celestron-5-mp-handheld-digital-microscope-pro/
- 1% – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_microscope
- <1% – https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-many-megapixels-you-need,review-1974.html
- <1% – https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/3707/can-people-tell-the-difference-between-sea-salt-and-table-salt-in-food
- <1% – https://quizlet.com/36524728/photography-midterm-technical-flash-cards/
- <1% – http://www.auburn.edu/academic/classes/zy/hist0509/html/03micros.html