Watch Biology Educational Videos
Last Updated on January 12, 2020 by Sagar Aryal
Habitat and Morphology of Streptococcus pyogenes
Habitat of Streptococcus pyogenes
- They are found in throat and skin of human.
- They are commensals of upper respiratory tract.
- Carrier rate of S. pyogenes in the respiratory tract is only few in adults, over 10% in children attending kindergarten.
- Opportunistic pathogens
- May survive in dust for some times.
Morphology of Streptococcus pyogenes
- Gram +ve bacteria
- Spherical or oval cocci in chains.
- 5 to 1 μm in diameter.
- Some of the strain are capsulated, best seen in young cultures.
- Cell wall contains important component, group specific carbohydrates.
- It has a protein called Protein F.
Genome of Streptococcus pyogenes
- Base pair: 1,852,442
- Protein encoding genes: 1752
- G+C Content: 38.5%