Last Updated on July 1, 2020 by Sagar Aryal
For examination in June and November 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Image Credit: Cambridge Assessment International Education.
Candidates for Cambridge International AS Level Biology study the following topics:
1 Cell structure
1.1 The microscope in cell studies
1.2 Cells as the basic units of living organisms
2 Biological molecules
2.1 Testing for biological molecules
2.3 Proteins and water
3.2 Factors that affect enzyme action
4.. Cell membranes and transport
4.1 Fluid mosaic membranes
4.2 Movement of substances into and out of cells
5.1 Replication and division of nuclei and cells
5.2 Chromosome behavior in mitosis
6. Nucleic acids and protein synthesis
7. Transport in plants
7.1 Structure of transport tissues
7.2 Transport mechanisms
8. Transport in mammals
8.1 The circulatory system
8.2 The heart
9. Gas exchange and smoking
9.1 The gas exchange system
10. Infectious diseases
10.1 Infectious diseases
11.1 The immune system
11.2 Antibodies and vaccination
Candidates for Cambridge International A Level Biology study the AS topics and the following topics:
12. Energy and respiration
13.1 Photosynthesis as an energy transfer process
13.2 Investigation of limiting factors
13.3 Adaptations for photosynthesis
14.1 Homeostasis in mammals
14.2 Homeostasis in plants
15. Control and co-ordination
15.1 Control and co-ordination in mammals
15.2 Control and co-ordination in plants
16. Inherited change
16.1 Passage of information from parents to offspring
16.2 The roles of genes in determining the phenotype
16.3 Gene control
17. Selection and evolution
17.2 Natural and artificial selection
18. Biodiversity, classification, and conservation
19. Genetic technology
19.1 Principles of genetic technology
19.2 Genetic technology applied to medicine
19.3 Genetically modified organisms in agriculture
Candidates for Cambridge International AS Level should study topics 1–11.
Candidates for Cambridge International A Level should study all topics.
The content of the AS Level learning outcomes is assumed knowledge for the A Level components.
Recommended Books for AS & A-Level Biology
- Ann Fullick, Jo Locke, and Paul Bircher. 2015. A Level Biology for OCR- A. Oxford University Press.
- Ann Fullick. 2015. Edexcel AS/A level Biology 1. 2nd Edition. Pearson Education Limited.
- CGP. 2015. A-Level Biology Exam Board: AQA. Complete Revision and Practice. Original material by Richard Parsons.
- Glenn Toole and Susan Toole. 2015. AQA Biology for A-Level. 2nd Edition. Oxford University Press.
- Mary Jones, Richard Fosbery, Jennifer Gregory and Dennis Taylor. 2014. Cambridge International AS and A Level Biology Coursebook. 4th Edition. Cambridge University Press.
- Mary Jones. 2010. Cambridge International A/AS-Level Biology Revision Guide. Hodder Education.
- Sue Hocking, Frank Sochacki, and Mark Winterbottom. 2015. OCR AS/A level Biology A. 2nd Edition. Pearson Education Limited.